Saturday, June 27, 2009

Looking for justice in an unjust world

"Never look for justice in this world, but never cease to give it" - Oswald Chambers, My Utmost of His Highest, June 27.

It seems to me that to be a true follower of Jesus means to accept the fact that I am going to be treated badly, partly because of what I believe, by those that don't follow Him. That those who follow the ways of the world are not going to be concerned with my welfare or my well being. Yet I am compelled by the One who gives me life to treat them fairly and honestly. I am to be concerned about their welfare as much (or more) than I am about mine.

How is that fair? Where is the justice in that? The simple answer is this: It's not and it isn't. Jesus, when He walked on this earth, knew he would be betrayed by the ones who loved Him. He knew He would be rejected by the ones He came to save. He didn't worry about justice. If He had, we would not have His example to follow because He wouldn't have come to earth in the first place.

In order to be an example of the man Jesus wants me to be I, too, must learn to treat people not as they treat me, but as Jesus dealt with everyone He came into contact with - with love, generosity, compassion. In doing so, I show others the peace I have found in Him. I glorify His kingdom and, hopefully, help it grow right here on this rock we call earth.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post.

    "We must sacrificially serve the common good, expecting to be constantly misunderstood and sometimes attacked. We must walk in the steps of the one who laid down his life for his opponents."

    Tim Keller from:

    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/may/1.36.html?start=1

    ReplyDelete